To receive email updates about YiddishSchool 2018, sign up here.
Whether you know a bisl Yiddish or none at all, you’ll enjoy YiddishSchool, a week of language-learning, lectures, sing-alongs, workshops, and performances—an excursion into the world of Yiddish. YiddishSchool offers adult learners the opportunity to spend a week exploring Yiddish language and culture in an intimate classroom setting.
Each day begins with two-and-a-half hours of Yiddish language classes for beginner, advanced beginner, and intermediate students, followed by afternoon lectures on Yiddish culture, song and dance workshops, film screenings, and study sessions. An evening performance, meals, and lively conversation enrich the week. (You can download a sample schedule for YiddishSchool below.)
The week includes:
- More than twelve hours of Yiddish language classes, plus optional study sessions
- Four lectures on a topic of Yiddish culture
- Workshops, a film screening, and a performance
- Class materials
- Shared or private room at the Hotel Northampton (arrive Sunday, depart Friday; commuter rate available for local participants)
- Continental breakfast at the hotel; five kosher lunches and two kosher dinners provided at the Yiddish Book Center
You must be a Yiddish Book Center member to register. You can join or renew your membership and then sign up for YiddishSchool. Space is limited, so early registration is advised.
Tuition and room shared with another participant: $1,100 per person
Tuition and private room: $1,475 per person
Tuition at commuter rate: $750 per person
For participants who come without a car, one round-trip shuttle between the hotel and the Yiddish Book Center is available each day. The shuttle fee is $75 for the week, and reservations must be made in advance of the program.