Oral History Shraybers (Field Processors)
The Yiddish Book Center’s Wexler Oral History Project announces a new volunteer program: oral history shraybers (field processors). Working from home computers, volunteers will dive into our growing oral history collection, mining interviews for great stories.
Please note: The deadline for this round of volunteer training has passed. Check back again soon.
We need your help! Oral history shraybers can work from any computer with internet access. The job will include the following steps for each interview:
- Watch 1-2 hour video recording, tracking the flow of topics discussed in the interview;
- Write a 400-600 word abstract, summarizing the interview content;
- Identify interview highlights and “great moments” for possible use on the Book Center’s website or in its publications, noting timecode and writing a brief description for each potential excerpt;
- Assign keywords based on a standardized list, allowing for greater access and searchability of interview contents.
- Participation in a web-based, live training (3-5 hours over two Sunday sessions in February and March 2013)
- Commitment to process a minimum of 10 interviews per year (approximately 2-6 hours of processing time per interview), for at least one year
- Maintenance of regular contact with project staff
Requirements and Qualifications:
- Interest in Jewish stories
- Basic familiarity with and knowledge of Jewish culture
- Ability to write a clear and engaging synopsis of each interview
- Facility with computer word processing, emailing, and accessing websites
- Access to high-speed internet on your home, office, or shared computer
- Ability to watch videos on the internet
- Access to a computer with a webcam for training sessions
- Attention to detail
- Excellent listening skills
- Ability to work independently with low-level supervision by the project staff
- Successful completion of training
PLEASE NOTE: You do not need to know Yiddish to do this work! However, any familiarity with Yiddish language, culture, and history is a plus.
Please click on the link below to fill out the online application by January 13, 2013:
- Please address all inquiries to Project Director Christa Whitney at email@example.com.