May 30–July 16, 2021
Now in its fourth decade, the Steiner Summer Yiddish Program offers motivated students the opportunity to immerse themselves in Yiddish language and culture. Participants study with renowned scholars and build a community of yidishkayt in a supportive residential setting.
Applications for the 2021 Steiner Summer Yiddish Program are now open. Applications are due February 7, 2021, at 11:59pm EST.
In the Steiner Summer Yiddish Program, undergraduate students, graduate students, and recent graduates ages 18-26:
- take a full year of language courses in seven weeks, tuition-free
- gain substantive knowledge of Central and Eastern European Jewish history and culture in seminars with leading scholars of literature, film, music, and history
- earn up to six college credits upon successful completion of the program
- attend the Yiddish Book Center’s Yidstock: The Festival of New Yiddish Music
- participate in paid internships, gaining professional experience working on Yiddish-based projects (intermediate-level students only)
- create a community of peers from around the world in a residential environment
If you or someone you know are considering applying, please keep the following dates in mind:
- February 7, 2021: Applications are due (including all supporting material)
- March 15, 2021: Admission decisions are sent out
IMPORTANT PROGRAM INFORMATION REGARDING COVID-19:
We hope to conduct the 2021 Steiner Summer Yiddish Program in-person at the Yiddish Book Center. However, due to the uncertain nature of the COVID-19 pandemic, a residential program may not be possible. If that is the case, the full seven-week program will be held online. We will inform students of the final course format (residential or fully online) upon acceptance. In the meantime, please see our FAQ for more information regarding the Steiner Summer Yiddish Program’s possible remote learning adaptation.
The Steiner Summer Yiddish Program is made possible through the generosity of David and Sylvia Steiner and a small group of additional sponsors.