Apply to the Program
Applications for the 2023 Steiner Summer Yiddish Program are open. Applications are due by February 7, 2023.
The Steiner Summer Yiddish Program is open to students between the ages of 18 and 29 who are either currently enrolled in a postsecondary education program (at least one year of undergraduate coursework is required) or have recently graduated.
Applications must include:
- The webform below
- A written statement, 3-5 paragraphs in length
- A video statement, no longer than 2 minutes
- Official academic transcripts. If in grad school, please send both graduate and undergraduate transcripts
- Two letters of recommendation, listed in order of preference: 1. If you have taken a language intensive, the instructor of that intensive, 2. Recent instructor with whom you have studied Yiddish (intermediates) or other languages (beginners), 3. Recent instructor with whom you have studied other disciplines, 4. Work supervisor or colleague from professional or volunteer work
- A Yiddish essay (for intermediate applicants; see details at the end of the form below)
Please have your two recommenders email their letters to [email protected].
Please have your university (or universities) send official transcripts to [email protected]. If your university is unable to provide digital transcripts, have them mailed or faxed directly to us at:
Yiddish Book Center
Attn: Steiner Summer Yiddish Program
1021 West Street
Amherst, MA 01002
Our online form now allows you to save a draft of your application. Click the “save draft” button at the bottom of the page and copy and save the secure link that appears in the green box at the top of the screen.