About the Great Jewish Books Club
Read, discuss, argue about, and fall in love with Great Jewish Books.
The Yiddish Book Center’s 2022 Great Jewish Books Club will feature six books with a focus on Yiddish literature in translation, as well as other seminal works of modern Jewish literature. There is no fee to join and enrollment is open throughout the year.
Participants can purchase as many of the books as they wish; the six selections are listed below. Each selection is available through the Center’s on-site and online store. Many or all of the selections are available in both print and ebook editions.
We will release resource and discussion guides to enrich the reading experience, including podcast interviews and virtual public programs with authors, scholars, translators, scholars, and cultural commentators.
Sign up below to become a member of the 2022 Great Jewish Books Club. You’ll receive a content-rich enewsletter for each selection with information about podcasts, public programs, links to reading resources, discussion groups, and more.
- Red Cavalry, by Isaac Babel, translated by Peter Constantine
- How Yiddish Changed America and How America Changed Yiddish, edited by Ilan Stavans and Josh Lambert
- The Rivals and Other Stories, by Jonah Rosenfeld, translated by Rachel Mines
- Dineh: An Autobiographical Novel, by Ida Maze, translated by Yermiyahu Ahron Taub, publication date: February 2022
- Sutzkever Essential Prose, by Avrom Sutzkever, translated by Zackary Sholem Berger
- Fear and Other Stories, by Chana Blankshteyn, translated by Anita Norich, publication date: May 2022