Hours and Directions
Visitors are always welcome at our architecturally-distinctive “shtetl,” set on a ten-acre apple orchard at the edge of the campus of Hampshire College in Amherst, Massachusetts. We’re a two-hour drive from Boston, three hours from New York, and one hour from the Berkshires. Frequent connections are available on Amtrak and all major airlines.
*Guided Tours available every Sunday 11am and 1pm. Free and open to the public.
**To check our calendar of events click here.
Closed Shabbos (Saturday) and Jewish and legal holidays.
Mapquest and GPS: Set destination as “Hampshire College, Amherst, MA.” Once you arrive on campus, follow signs to the Yiddish Book Center.
From NYC and points south: Take I-91N to Massachusetts Exit 19 (Northampton/Amherst). Turn right onto Route 9 E. Pass over the Calvin Coolidge Bridge. Before the Getty Station, take a right. At the stop sign, make a right onto Route 47. After 1.8 miles, take a left onto Bay Road toward Hampshire College/South Amherst. Continue another 2.5 miles and turn left at the Bay Road entrance of Hampshire College. Turn right at the intersection. The Yiddish Book Center is the first wooden shtetl you’ll come to on your right.
From Boston and points east: I-90W (Massachusetts Turnpike) to I-91N. Follow directions above.
From the Berkshires, Albany and points west: I-90E I-91N. Follow directions above.
From the north: I-91S to Exit 20 (Northampton). At traffic light, turn left onto Damon Road. At next light, turn left on Route 9 E. Follow directions above.
From north-central Massachusetts and New Hampshire: Route 2W to exit 16 (Amherst). Go approximately 14 miles on route 202S. Turn right on Pelham Road, which becomes Main Street. In the center of Amherst, turn left onto Route 116 South. Continue for about 4 miles. Turn right into the Hampshire College entrance, then left at the first intersection. The Yiddish Book Center is the first building on your left.
Frequent connections can be made on all major airlines to Bradley International Airport (BDL) in Hartford, CT, which is less than an hour south of Amherst. Car rentals are available at the airport. Reasonably priced limousine service may be arranged in advance by phoning Valley Transporter at 800-872-8752. Boston’s Logan International Airport (BOS) is two hours away.
Amtrak trains run on a regular schedule from New York’s Penn Station and points south to Springfield, Massachusetts, which is 40 minutes south of Amherst. One train a day – Amtrak’s “Vermonter” – goes through to Amherst. Reservations are required for all trains: www.amtrak.com, or 1-800-USA-RAIL. Taxis are always waiting outside the Springfield train station. It is also possible (and less expensive) to arrange for limousine service by phoning Valley Transporter in advance at 800-872-8752. At the Amherst station you can phone Green Taxi, 413-461-3099; GottaGo Taxi, 413-461-3070; Tik Tak Taxi, 414-256-4500; or Celebrity Cab, 413-253-7330.
If you get farblonzhet (lost)…
If you get lost – or if you’d like additional information – please phone us. Our staff members are knowledgeable, friendly and eager to help. We can be reached by phone at 413-256-4900, x127, or by email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
2015 Holiday Closings
- Christmas: Close at noon Wednesday, December 24, 2014 and all day Thursday, December 25, 2014
- New Year’s Day: Tuesday, January 1
- Martin Luther King's Birthday: Monday, January 19
- Peysekh: Closed at noon Friday, April 3; closed Sunday, April 5; and closed Friday, April 10
- Shavuos: Closed Sunday and Monday, May 24 - 25
- Memorial Day: Monday, May 25
- Independence Day: Friday, July 3
- Labor Day: Monday, September 7
- Rosh Hashanah: Monday and Tuesday, September 14 - 15
- Yom Kippur: Close at noon Tuesday, September 22; and closed Wednesday, September23
- Sukkos: Monday and Tuesday, September 28 - 29
- Shimini Atzeres: Monday, October 5
- Simkhes Torah: Tuesday, October 6
- Thanksgiving: Close at noon Wednesday, November 25, and all day Thursday and Friday, November 26 - 27
- Christmas: Close at noon Thursday, December 24 and all day Friday, December 25