Tell your story!
Not every Jewish story ends up in a book.
The Yiddish Book Center’s Wexler Oral History Project is a growing collection of in-depth video interviews. Through stories of tradition and survival, memories of bygone neighborhoods, foods and family rituals, and stories of connection to Yiddish language and culture today, we are chronicling the many ways there are to be Jewish.
In the past four years, we’ve recorded over 400 interviews, stories told by people of all ages and backgrounds—bobes (grandmothers) and young activists, Yiddish language students and professors, musicians, and grandchildren of Yiddish writers, native speakers and non-Yiddish speakers.
These interviews illustrate the ways in which Yiddish language and culture inform Jewish identity. Together, these stories and reflections provide a glimpse into the ways in which cultural heritage is transmitted, adapted, and reinterpreted by each generation.
The goal of the Wexler Oral History Project is to record and preserve stories -- your stories and those of your family and friends. We invite you to tell us your story.
We are particularly looking for people with strong connections to Yiddish language and culture. However, we also interview people from all ages and backgrounds in order to explore the broadest expression of Jewish experience. Your story can truly become part of history. Zay azoy gut, please let us know if you or someone you know would like to be interviewed.
As you are planning your upcoming visit to the Book Center, consider packing your stories along with you! We have appointments available now for the coming months. Don't miss your chance to contribute your story to the archive in our state-of-the-art Karmazin Recording Studio here at the Yiddish Book Center in Amherst, MA.
- Tell us your story! To begin, fill out the Pre-Interview Questionnaire, get answers to frequently asked questions, or contact us at email@example.com.
- Want di gantse geshikhte (the full scoop)? Browse our archive of full-length interviews at www.archive.org/details/ybcvideos.
- Learn through stories. Search our entire collection of video clips on YouTube, browse highlights from the collection, and learn more about our collections of interviews on specific topics.
What is Jewish History? Yerushalmi's Influence
The Wexler Oral History Project
- Jump to the featured clip of the week, or sign up to receive it via email.
- Tell Your Story! How to schedule an interview.
- Explore highlights from our collection of over 600 hours of material.
- Search for something specific through our collection on YouTube.
- See our archive of full-length interviews.
- How to get involved.