Work with us
- We currently have no open volunteer positions.
- We currently have no open contract opportunities.
The Yiddish Book Center seeks a Bibliography and Exhibit Associate to join our Bibliography and Exhibit teams. The Bibliography and Exhibit Associate will work on our new core exhibit Yiddish: A Global Culture scheduled to open in May 2023. In addition, they will manage the day-to-day work of our Bibliography Fellows and carry out ongoing tasks related to book donations, collections management, and processing. This is a 1- year term position, reporting to the Bibliographer and Editorial Director. With the possibility of an extension based on funding.
- Contributing to content selection and writing for the new core exhibit.
- Helping to shape the visitor experience for the new core exhibit.
- Supervising the work of Bibliography Fellows
- Supervising the processing of used book donations: appraising the books, making appropriate decisions about rare books, and developing contacts with donors
- Organizing and supervising the work of fellows as they process book donations
- Advising on offers of donations of books and other materials, working closely with colleagues who assist with the logistics of donations.
- Responding to inquiries from the public and scholars about books, music, and all manner of diverse questions about Yiddish language and culture.
- Managing the ongoing work of sorting and preservation of the rare book collection in the vault, and the processing and shelving of journals and periodicals.
- Keeping an overview of books across the Center’s main holdings (the repository and the vault), helping to ensure that rare books are in the vault, and supervising the process of sending duplicates to off-site storage.
- Helping to devise and implement strategic priorities for best practice in terms of organizing books in the vault and repository and throughout the building.
- Helping devise and implement policies and strategic priorities for the large backlog of work on other collections including sheet music, type materials, typewriters, and personal archives.
- Advising visitors on book purchases and responding to visitors' questions about Yiddish books and other aspects of Yiddish culture.
- Writing about the books and collections for the website and social media
- Contributing to the work of the education department and public programs, by giving occasional talks and briefings to students, the wider public, donors, and visitors to the Center
Other tasks as assigned.
The ideal candidate will be knowledgeable and passionate about Yiddish material culture
- Background in academic Yiddish or Jewish Studies or relevant experience in archives, collections or librarianship.
- Working knowledge of Yiddish.
- Excellent writing, team-working and organizational skills.
- Bachelor’s degree required; advanced degree preferred.
Note: This position is on-site in Amherst, MA
Salary range: $55,000-$65,000
The Book Center offers a generous benefits package:
- 403 (b) Retirement Plan
- Health Insurance
- Flexible Spending Account
- Life Insurance
- Paid Time Off
To apply: Send cover letter and resume to: [email protected] Please include Bibliography and Exhibits Associate in the subject line.
The Yiddish Book Center is an equal opportunity employer.