Visitors are always welcome at our architecturally distinctive building, designed to recall a shtetl—the iconic Jewish town of Eastern Europe—and set on a ten-acre apple orchard at the edge of the campus of Hampshire College in Amherst, Massachusetts. We’re a two-hour drive from Boston, three hours from New York, and one hour from the Berkshires.
The world's first Yiddish museum, the Yiddish Book Center is home to extensive permanent and visiting exhibits on Yiddish and Jewish culture. We also offer a full schedule of concerts, films, talks, family programs, and other special events; visit our events calendar to learn about upcoming programs. Free guided public tours, as well as group tours, are also available.
Suggested donation: $8 for adults; $6 for seniors. Free for members, students, and children.
The Center is open Sunday to Friday, 10 a.m. to 4 p.m.
Free guided tours are available Sundays at 11 a.m. and 1 p.m. and Tuesdays at 2 p.m. Group tours can also be arranged.
We're closed on Shabbos (Saturday) and Jewish and legal holidays.
In 2018, we'll be closed on these holidays:
- Labor Day: Monday, September 3
- Rosh Hashanah: Closed Sunday through Tuesday, September 9 - 11
- Yom Kippur: Close at noon Tuesday, September 18; closed Wednesday, September 19
- Sukkos: Monday and Tuesday, September 24 - 25
- Shemini Atzereth: Monday, October 1
- Simchas Torah: Tuesday, October 2
- Thanksgiving: Close at noon Wednesday, November 21; closed Thursday and Friday, November 22 -23
- Christmas: Close at noon Monday, December 24; closed Tuesday, December 25
In 2019, we'll be closed on these holidays:
- New Year’s Day: Tuesday, January 1
- Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. Day: Monday, January 21
- Pesach: Close at noon Friday, April 19; closed Sunday, April 21; closed Friday, April 26
- Memorial Day: Monday, May 27
- Shevuos: Sunday and Monday, June 9-10
- Independence Day: Thursday, July 4
- Labor Day: Monday, September 2
- Rosh Hashanah: Closed Sunday through Tuesday, September 29 through October 1
- Yom Kippur: Close at noon Tuesday, October 8; closed Wednesday, October 9
- Sukkos: Monday and Tuesday, October 14-15
- Shemini Atzereth: Monday, October 21
- Simchas Torah: Tuesday, October 22
- Thanksgiving: Close at noon Wednesday, November 27; closed Thursday and Friday, November 28 -29
- Christmas: Close at noon Tuesday, December 24; closed Wednesday, December 25
We're located in Massachusetts' Pioneer Valley, home to renowned museums and colleges, a lively restaurant scene, eclectic shops, and a wide range of hotels and inns.
To learn more about places to stay, eat, shop, and explore, go to Visit Hampshire County.
And while you're in the area, be sure to visit the other members of Museums10, the regional museums collaborative of which the Yiddish Book Center is a proud member.
GPS: Set destination as “Hampshire College, Amherst, MA.” Once you arrive on campus, follow signs to the Yiddish Book Center.
Click here for directions and a map of the area.
Or download complete directions by car, plane, train, bus, and public transit: