Visitors are always welcome at our architecturally distinctive building, designed to recall a shtetl—the iconic Jewish town of Eastern Europe—and set on a ten-acre apple orchard at the edge of the campus of Hampshire College in Amherst, Massachusetts. We’re a two-hour drive from Boston, three hours from New York, and one hour from the Berkshires.
The world's first Yiddish museum, the Yiddish Book Center is home to extensive permanent and visiting exhibits on Yiddish and Jewish culture. We also offer a full schedule of concerts, films, talks, family programs, and other special events; visit our events calendar to learn about upcoming programs. Free guided public tours, as well as group tours, are also available.
Suggested donation: $8 for adults; $6 for seniors. Free for members, students, and children.
The Center is open Sunday to Friday, 10 a.m. to 4 p.m.
Free guided tours are available Sundays at 11 a.m. and 1 p.m. and Tuesdays at 2 p.m. Group tours can also be arranged.
We're closed on Shabbos (Saturday) and Jewish and legal holidays.
In 2019, we'll be closed on these holidays:
- Rosh Hashanah: Closed Sunday through Tuesday, September 29 through October 1
- Yom Kippur: Close at noon Tuesday, October 8; closed Wednesday, October 9
- Sukkos: Closed Monday and Tuesday, October 14–15
- Shemini Atzereth: Closed Monday, October 21
- Simchas Torah: Closed Tuesday, October 22
- Thanksgiving: Close at noon Wednesday, November 27; closed Thursday and Friday, November 28–29
- Christmas: Close at noon Tuesday, December 24; closed Wednesday, December 25
In 2020, we'll be closed on these holidays:
- New Year’s Day: Closed Wednesday, January 1
- Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. Day: Closed Monday, January 20
- Pesach: Close at noon Wednesday, April 8; closed Thursday and Friday, April 9–10; closed Wednesday and Thursday, April 15–16
- Memorial Day: Closed Monday, May 25
- Shevuos: Closed Friday, May 29
- Independence Day: Closed Friday, July 3
- Labor Day: Closed Monday, September 7
- Rosh Hashanah: Close at noon Friday, September 18; closed Sunday, September 20
- Yom Kippur: Closed Sunday and Monday, September 27–28
- Sukkos: Closed Sunday, October 4
- Simchas Torah: Closed Sunday, October 11
- Thanksgiving: Close at noon Wednesday, November 25; closed Thursday and Friday, November 26–27
- Christmas: Close at noon Thursday, December 24; closed Friday, December 25
We're located in Massachusetts' Pioneer Valley, home to renowned museums and colleges, a lively restaurant scene, eclectic shops, and a wide range of hotels and inns.
To learn more about places to stay, eat, shop, and explore, go to Visit Hampshire County.
And while you're in the area, be sure to visit the other members of Museums10, the regional museums collaborative of which the Yiddish Book Center is a proud member.
GPS: Set destination as “Hampshire College, Amherst, MA.” Once you arrive on campus, follow signs to the Yiddish Book Center.
Click here for directions and a map of the area.
Or download complete directions by car, plane, train, bus, and public transit: