April 11-16, 2021
Whether you know a bisl Yiddish or none at all, you’ll enjoy YiddishSchool Online, a week of remote language-learning, lectures, workshops, talks, and performances—an excursion into the world of Yiddish! This year’s virtual program offers adult learners the opportunity to spend a week exploring Yiddish language and culture together from the comfort and safety of home.
Each day features two-and-a-half hours of Yiddish language classes, along with workshops, cultural events, and more. (You can download a tentative schedule for YiddishSchool below.)
The week includes:
- More than twelve hours of Yiddish language classes offered at four levels
- Workshops and talks with Yiddish scholars, including Yiddish Book Center staff
- A musical performance
- A film screening
- A copy of In eynem: The New Yiddish Textbook, volumes 1 and 2 (a $139 value!)
- The chance to connect with a community of Yiddish learners, live via Zoom and asynchronously via Slack
Cost: $475 for Yiddish Book Center members, $550 for nonmembers
Each individual participant must register separately.
- Students are expected to actively participate in language class sessions.
- Students are expected to familiarize themselves with the Yiddish alphabet before the program begins.
- Students must have a computer with a webcam and microphone, headphones, Internet access, and some proficiency with Zoom.
- Students will use Slack, a free communication platform, to receive program announcements, connect with faculty, and chat with fellow participants. (Prior experience with Slack is helpful but not required. There will be a how-to session on the basics of Slack at the start of the program.)