March 31-April 5, 2019, at the Yiddish Book Center
Dates for YiddishSchool 2020 will be announced in the fall. To receive email updates about YiddishSchool, sign up here
Whether you know a bisl Yiddish or none at all, you’ll enjoy YiddishSchool, a week of language-learning, lectures, sing-alongs, workshops, and performances—an excursion into the world of Yiddish. YiddishSchool offers adult learners the opportunity to spend a week exploring Yiddish language and culture in an intimate classroom setting.
Each day begins with two-and-a-half hours of Yiddish language classes, followed by afternoon lectures on Yiddish culture, workshops, sing-alongs, and more. Shared meals and lively conversation enrich the week. (You can download a sample schedule for YiddishSchool below.)
The week includes:
- More than twelve hours of Yiddish language classes, offered at three levels
- Lectures by top scholars on a variety of Yiddish cultural topics
- Workshops, sing-alongs, a performance, and a film screening
- Class materials
- Shared or private room at the Hotel Northampton (arrive Sunday, depart Friday; commuter rate available for local participants)
- Continental breakfast at the hotel; five kosher lunches and two kosher dinners provided at the Yiddish Book Center
Yiddish Book Center Members:
- Tuition and room shared with another participant: $1,100 per person
- Tuition and private room: $1,475 per person
- Tuition at commuter rate: $750 per person
- Tuition and room shared with another participant: $1,175 per person
- Tuition and private room: $1,550 per person
- Tuition at commuter rate: $825 per person
For participants who come without a car, one round-trip shuttle between the hotel and the Yiddish Book Center is available each day. The shuttle fee is $75 for the week, and reservations must be made in advance of the program.
Space at YiddishSchool is limited, so early registration is advised.